Sunday, February 3, 2008

No right minds could wrong be this many times

Title refers to a line in Sara Bareilles' song "Between the Lines."

I'm eating Wheat Thins and watching a BBC America documentary called "Super Skinny Me." It's about these two journalists who attempt to slim down to a size 00. It's really crazy. Doctors forced the one to stop the experiment because she got too into it. The other made the goal of the 00. In the end, they lost something like 15 pounds each and, as the one who had to stop put it, "learned that not eating makes you go mental." They both have since began eating normally.

Alright, so enough of that...this week has been CRAZY. I realized last night that the next time I have 2 days off in a row, it will be a month since I've had 2 days off in a row. I'm kinda going nuts.

So...ketchup.

Monday night I saw The Hottie and The Nottie. It's Paris Hilton's new movie. I don't know which was worse, this movie or 27 Dresses. Paris basically plays herself (I just interviewed her this morning and she even told me as much). The "nottie" is the girl who played Al the tomboy on Step by Step.

Oh also on Monday I watched Jim Carrey jump off the suicide bridge in Pasadena. Luckily he was attached to a bungee cord and survived.

Briefly I need to mention the juxtaposition of the current documentary on BBC America..."476-lb. Teenager." Is this what BBC America is usually obsessed about?

Anywho so Tuesday I got fitted for my nightguard (awesome) and used American Idol as a mood elevator. Wednesday my lady doctor (who reminds me of my Adopted Grandma Delores) wished me well in the world of romance. (Her exact words were: I hope the stars align for you this year, and that he's a really cool guy who wears condoms.) Yeah, that wasn't awkward. But she means well, and I appreciate her for it.

The show "The Moment of Truth" premiered while we were at Sundance, and Brooks, Emily and I knew it was going to be addicting, and it is. This week's episode was no different. I mean, who doesn't enjoy watching other people ruin their lives? As Emily put it, it's that trainwreck you can't help but being glued to. Not surprisingly there's apparently no shortage of people willing to reveal their innermost secrets on national television for a few thousand dollars. Apparently that's the only place they feel comfortable ruining their marriages or families or careers.

I interviewed Jessica Alba Thurs night at the premiere for The Eye, and I dunno, I just don't get what the big deal is about her. Luckily she wasn't feeling good, so she didn't have the energy to be bitchy (as I heard she can be). It might impress you to know that she learned braille and classic violin for the role. Others might like to know that in these first few months of her pregnancy (I think she's in her second trimester or something) she's gone from a 32b to a 34d.

Saturday I took a nearly 7 mile hike along a ridge overlooking the ocean in the Pacific Palisades. It was simply beautiful and reminds me how much I love being by the beach and how much I take it for granted. I've already told my coworkers who live in the beach communities that they'll be seeing a lot of me when the weather warms up.

Saturday night thanks to Kait was treated to a reading by Bestselling Poet Mary Oliver. I'll be honest, when I first saw the 80 min no intermission runtime, I was like uh oh, this might be a lot of culture for me. I had read her poetry, but I was not prepared for the effect it would have on me coming out of her mouth. Less than half way through I was taking notes, writing down lines she was saying that I was connecting with.

"let our minds rattle our tongues"
this is in reference to early morning convos she had with her lover

"are you breathing a little and calling it a life?"

"nothing important is ever easy, at least for the first 60 years"

"doesn't everything die at last and too soon?"

My favorite poems of the evening:

The Journey
One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice--
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do--
determined to save
the only life you could save.

Wild Geese
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

I'll try to be better at updating throughout the week so that we don't have these long posts once a week.

And I know I have yet to do the Sundance Celeb List. I have it at work, so I'll try to put it on here tomorrow.

Hi mom.

Oh and people often ask me why I'm not on air. This is why.

1 comment:

Lyndsay said...

MA, that was a super cute story.

Oh, and you could totally be on camera.