Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Are You There God? It's Me Margaret...

It's days like these that make me wish I had a personal assistant to organize all aspects of my life while being thrilled to clean my apartment. Just gots lots of stuff to organize and keep straight. Lists abound.

It's been over a week since I've paid a visit to this site, so I thought I'd fill whatever random readers I have in on what's been happening.

Last Monday...I got off work early in order to head to the beach to tape our Summer Movie Guide. On the way, I got a ticket while trying to drop off my disagreeable laptop at Best Buy. I also dropped off the scuba gear (at Sport Chalet, not Best Buy), the action of which required not one but two support calls. I stopped to get my hair cut before finally landing on the beach. (Quite the productive trip west, n'est-ce pas?)

Monday night I learned that my job going to send me to Kansas to interview Conner Humphreys (the kid who played young Forrest Gump who is now all grown up and getting out of the Army after serving in Iraq). My boss suggested since I had the long weekend I might as well drive over to St Louis and holiday with the fam.

Tuesday was a whirlwind of writing and packing and prepping.

Flew to Kansas City Weds. Did you know the city is known for its fountains? It's second only to Rome for the most fountains in the world. I heart fountains. Weds night I got first fans for Indiana Jones.

Thursday I fed the first fans story and then headed to Fort Riley (a two hour drive). I followed some storm chasers which was interesting. But not as interesting as the sign I saw for a Rifle and Bible church. I alternated between KDL's Spring Mix and the country/Christian mix offered on the area radio stations.

My interview with Conner was fun. I thanked him for his services of protection and entertainment.

From Fort Riley (I feel like I should insert an animated map graphic here), I drove two hours south to Wichita to visit with my gma's bff Miss Ruthie. She's 97. She calls me Yup because when I was little that's all I would ever say to her when she asked me questions. She recites and writes poetry and she's an amazing person and I will post some video of her when I get my computer back. We had dinner and I stayed with her for the night.

Friday I woke up early and drove the 6-7 hours to St Louis. I only got pulled over once and I didn't get a ticket (which is a great thing, seeing as how I had already got one moving violation that week). You should know that I haven't been pulled over in like 10 years. Anyway I made it to the StL and was met by an excited-to-see-me Hunter.

Went to dinner with the fam, then laid in Hunter's bunk beds having a heart-to-heart until after midnight. He's only 4 and most of what I remember talking about includes the story of me puking and the fish eating it (he loves that story!) but still...fun moments.

Saturday I hung out with gma and Melody. I ran into one of the girls I was a youth leader for back when she was in 7th grade and I was much younger. She's now a mom and getting ready to get married. Crazy how people grow up so fast. Speaking of, I surprised my dad's family at my cousin's daughter's graduation party. I remember when I saw Baby Christie for the first time in her little carseat. Now she's almost 18 and graduating high school and off to pursue her own journalism degree and career.

So that was fun. I rode down with Melissa's fam and had to fight the peer pressure to let them use a big heavy book to "pop" the ganglion cyst that's developed on my right hand. (It wasn't that hard to fight.)

Spent Saturday night with my grandma so I could take her to her church Sun morning. Nearly got misty eyed when I saw a soon-to-be dad reach over and touch the baby bump during one of the prayers. The weekend was also full of watching (and feeling) Jett play around in his in utero playground. I also taught Hunter the Juno Hot Wheels car trick (where it rolls down the hill of the belly) which may or may not be a good thing.

BBQd and stayed Sunday night with my parents. Saw my friend Laurie's huge grown up house. I asked her if I bought one did she think a husband and kid would come with it? Her 2 year old called me "that lady" and I liked it. Mostly because she wasn't like "Who's that lady?" it was more like "I want that lady to fasten my chair, help me wash my hands, eat, etc." Super cute.

I lunched with my mom and gma and aunt and Melody before picking out a purse and shoes for my bday. (Which is a week from today but let's not talk about it...One more week of 20s??!? I'm not ready...)

Got back into LA only to hear that Sydney Pollack died. Which made me super sad. I was all "I just talked to him and he was fine." Turns out I talked to him last June (a great one on one sit down) and he probably was sick then and didn't say. Ben produced the obit today and watching Sydney give me advice almost made me cry.

I've scheduled my plans to go to Chico, CA in June to see Chris, my friend from Paris, get married. I still have to organize my trip to Grand Cayman better. I leave Sunday. Time is ticking. I'm excited for time to not matter. I'm excited for sun and warmth and relaxation.

I'm also excited for a Seann William Scott instudio interview. Mike is gonna do the interviewing but I volunteered to produce the piece so that I can lurk with purpose.

Jury is still out on how I felt about the Grey's season finale, which I just watched last night (while tiredly unpacking and trying to not think about Sydney). I did, of course, have a favorite line:

"I believe that we can be extraordinary together rather than ordinary apart."

No comments: