Friday, January 9, 2009

A word on awards...

Favorite moments from the Critic's Choice awards:
(in no particular order)

1. Seeing Brangelina on the carpet. Never gets old. I also for some reason got excited about seeing Richard Gere. But that's just because I never have before. Other notable red carpet item was how fabulous Evan Rachel Wood looked.
2. The end of Anne Hathaway's speech when she talked about her daddy. I teared up because I could say the same exact thing about mine. (Sorta paraphrasing but almost exactly: "And finally, I'd like to thank my dad for showing me that there are good men in the world, and that I am worthy of the love of good people.")
2.a. The reaction in the press room to Angelina's stink eye during Anne's speech.
3. Running into Josh Brolin in the hall backstage.
4. Talking to Anne, Sean Penn, and Danny Boyle in the press room.
5. Being told by a publicist that I always ask the best questions.
6. Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky) spotting me and waving as she was leaving the press room. I also love how much this moment cracked Gerrad up.

Speaking of G-rad...we (not on purpose) coordinated our outfits and looked like this:


We've got the Globes Sunday. I'm excited.

So today was it for Dailies. Weird. I've never been laid off before. I've never worked on a show that got cancelled. Not a good atmosphere. The top shelf vodka helped. They decided to end the show with the first story of the first show that aired back in September of 2006. It just so happened that story was mine. It was called Actors Firsts, and was about the early beginnings of some of today's top actors and actresses.

I'm really afraid the magnitude of all this hasn't hit me yet. The financial fears are more than kicking in, and I'm making plans to subdue that impact. But the thought of going from spending so much time with a group of people to not seeing them as much...that's what I don't like to think about. We spend so much of our time working that those are the people that occupy our days and our lives...and the days of our lives.

I've obviously left friends and coworkers before. But this feels like the disbanding of a family of sorts. And I'm also usually not good with change unless I'm the one dictating it. I continue to be excited about my next adventure. But I'm gonna miss a lot of faces. Like my beloved officemate Ben. Who I talk about frequently on here and who I respect and enjoy sitting across from more than I could have ever imagined. I talk a lot. I can be flighty. I'm the office social butterfly, and decorate my workspace with lots of toys and pictures of Zach Braff and other boys I like. I have weird personal phone conversations. And yet Ben fought the good fight with the powers that be begging for us to remain officemates. We've been roomies for two years. That's longer than some marriages last. I have a feeling that in my next job I'm going to have a question and I'm gonna look up and expect him to be there and have the answer. Because he always does.


We've definitely had a good run. I know he's cheering me on and wishing me nothing but the best, just as much as I am him.

No comments: