Sunday, January 4, 2009

Starting a Revolution from My Bed

Don't get freaked out. I told you it's one of the two warm places in my apartment. We're lucky I'm not blogging from the shower. Yet...

OMG The Reader. I hate to hype movies (so quit reading now if you hate reading hype before seeing a movie...I don't give any spoilers tho) because I've found that it's better to go into a movie with little or no expectations and then be BLOWN AWAY like I was with this one. Despite whatever happens awards season, The Reader is the best picture of the year. Filmmaking genius. Amazingly crafted. Subtle. Provocative. Profound. A lot of big words, basically. Some of them are Kait's.

Funny...off subj...a song from when I used to club in Paris just came on my Itunes. It sounds like an old friend saying Hello.

Back to The Reader...I won't lie, at the beginning I was all WTF (sorry, mom, but if you see it, you will agree.) I hadn't read this one so I had no clue what it was about. But unlike Revolutionary Road, I didn't feel lost (as I think one might seeing RR without reading it). And once I got past the initial shock, I fell in love. Right along with the characters of the movie. The rest of the cinematic experience was nothing short of me feeling in my seat what they were putting into motion on screen. I felt compassion. Disgust. Confusion. Love. Tears trickled down my cheeks. My chin quivered. I wept silently.

If I could smelt an Oscar in my apartment and hand it to Kate Winslet tomorrow, I would do it. And still feel like I was tardy. I also would like to give mad props to David Kross and Ralph Fiennes. I've had a thing against Ralph ever since he was such a good asshole in The Duchess...but I forgave him today. These two men play the same character at different ages, and they did such a great job learning each other's mannerisms...the transition seemed seamless.

Here's the trailer, and again, apologies for the build up.



Oh and I forgot to mention that I also recently watched Doubt. I came away wishing Philip Seymour Hoffman preached in real life because he was marvelous at it. Viola Davis is amazing. Her 12 minutes on screen are perhaps the most captivating. And I know every one is saying that, but it's true.

Here's pictures from my Christmas in St. Louis. Enjoy!

Christmas 08 Album

No comments: