Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Real Talk with Katy Perry

So apparently I'm going to talk about Katy Perry all the time. To be honest, sure, I thought UR So Gay was humorous. And I can understand the catchiness that is I Kissed a Girl. I'm most onboard with Hot N Cold tho...so when I randomly sat next to her hair dresser on my way to StL for Christmas I was excited to learn she would be playing my fave indie music spot here in LA. The Hotel Cafe.

Last night I learned at her show that she started out at the Hotel Cafe. Last night I also fell in love with everything that is Katy Perry in a small venue. Despite having the flu she played the sold out show like a champ. She looked good. She sounded good. She interacted with the crowd and "got real" with us.

The music was great. She did a few songs just her and the guitar. Other songs there was an accordion involved (and we all know how much I love those!). She did play Hot N Cold, but a much cooler, acoustic version. Everything else seemed real indie roots and I just loved it. (She's got a bigger venue show coming up here in LA that will probably be more rowdy.) I just found the Cafe to be the perfect place to really hear what she had to say. And then I fell in love with this song and thanked her for writing a song that seemed just for me.

The only problem is that I much prefer her acoustic stuff to what is on her album. Which sucks because you can't find recorded versions of it. Which makes me fear that her Brick by Brick will be like Sara Bareilles' Satellite. A song that I rarely - if ever - get to hear.

I'm sitting here at work. Because although we've been laid off, we still have to come to work for the next 60 days. The combination of there not being much to do and there not being a lot of incentive to do it makes this the most awkward environment ever. So this is what it feels like to be a lame duck. I bet Bush just wished it was next week already. I know I do...ZING!

Ok so the Golden Globes...let's start with the ceremony.

Moments:
1. Kate Winslet squared. So happy for her. So. SO. happy.
2. Sally Hawkins. She's my Glen and Marketa of this year. The person who recognizes and talks to me on all the carpets. Such a sweetheart and well deserving of this award. I enjoyed Happy-Go-Lucky. I also liked her interaction with Emma Thompson.
3. I basically liked Emma Thompson all day...red carpet and ceremony. She was awesomely hilarious.
4. Mickey. Oh Mickey. You thanked your dogs AND you're friends with The Boss. Does it get any better?

Slumdog and Mad Men. Kudos.

Red Carpet Moments:
1. I spent much of the day obsessed with Lara Spencer's (The Insider) posture. She's very tall and lanky, but has the most incredible posture of anyone I've ever seen. The way she carries herself is mesmerizing. I then learned that if I worked out my upper back muscles, I could have posture like that. I'm seriously considering it.
2. I saw Elizabeth Perkins taking pictures of Ricky Gervais with her camera phone. I told her he would probably take a picture WITH her if she asked.
3. I saw Tom Brokaw. And Tom Cruise. And the Mad Men cast. And a whole lot of other people.
4. Drew and Jessica as Grey Gardens. Hilarious and hideous all at the same time.
5. We saw a lot of people as we were one of the last outlets before the door. We weren't getting any interviews, so we both just decided to be fans.
5a. I yelled to Kate Winslet that I loved The Reader. I then wanted to continue to yell that it wasn't that I didn't like Rev Road, I just loved The Reader MORE, but that's a lot of stuff to yell out when they're whisking her past you.
5b. I yelled to Neil Patrick Harris that I LOVED him on SNL. I mean, COME ON PEOPLE!! The digital short that NBC Universal just pulled off youtube may be one of the best things I've seen on tv in a while!!

5c. Tom Hanks came running through at the last minute. I couldn't pass up the chance (and really had no filter at that point) so I just yelled out "Run Forrest Run!" He laughed and other people started chanting it too. (Yes that was a risky and non professional move, but OH SO FITTING. And he thought it was funny.)

-----------------

I had a panic last night after receiving one email saying one of the friends of friends I've contacted is limited by a hiring freeze and then having a meeting with another company that does not currently have any jobs available. AWESOME.

I know I'm good at what I do. I know I have a lot of people pulling for me and passing along my resume. But it's those quiet moments laying in bed at night when the reality hits and I'm like WTH (like that one better, mom?) am I going to do? Like really. I think I may need more xanax.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ma- your blogs are so enjoying to read! i hope that a company or organzation will soon realize how lucky they would be to have you. your family knows we are lucky to have you and wish we had you closer but are happy that you are happy and the internet is close enough so go where you will and we will keep you in our hearts.

Jill said...

laughing quietly to myself about the "run forest run" comment. jeff's wrapping up his 60 days at Wamu, so i feel your pain. here's hoping they gave you a decent severance?