Thursday, January 29, 2009

For the Movies

(It's a sexy rock song by Buckcherry. Check out those varied musical interests!)

I've seen a lot lately, so I'll just kinda start with the most recent and hope I remember to include everything.

Fanboys. So here's my dirty little secret. I've never seen Star Wars. Like the good ones. I saw Episode 1 while living in Paris because my male charge was obsessed with the series. But as for the classics, I never got around to them. They're in my queue, so I'll see them eventually. But I reveal this because Fanboys is a movie all about Star Wars. Said fanboys are obsessed with Luke, Leia, Darth, the Wookies and the rest of the them and make a trek to Lucas ranch to see Episode One before it's released. The movie has been in Hollywood turmoil since it was made like three years ago. From what I hear the version that will be released next month is closer to the original idea and not the second reincarnation. So here's the thing. Having never seen SW, I was pleasantly entertained by this movie. It was an enjoyable, heartfelt movie with a great 90s soundtrack. I laughed out loud several times. I would recommend it if you're looking for something fun, and it would be a good date night movie.

I'm using some of my spare time to clean movies off my DVR that I've randomly recorded thinking that I might wanna watch them someday.

Longford. It's based on the true story of a Lord in England who befriends prisoners, including a female child killer. His friendship with her is obviously not looked kindly upon by the public. So yeah, it's super cheery. The performances are really good and the storyline fits in well with my interest in all of those true crime shows. But the movie is deep. So I guess if you're in the mood for something deep...

Woman on Top. I'm not sure why I recorded this movie. It stars Penelope Cruz and was on IFC. It wasn't horrible, but wasn't great. The male lead is that guy from "Good Morning Miami." I feel like I see him and his family all over town, so I was like "really? you're in this movie??" Random.

The Wrestler. Wow. There are obvious reasons this movie is nominated for academy awards. Mickey Rourke became Randy. Marisa's fabulous, and I'll be one happy girl if my body looks anywhere near that good in 11 or 12 years. Director Darren Aronofosky shot the movie documentary-style which super works. Unfortunately I had no idea of the brutality of wrestling. So the first half hour was really tough to watch. I have a method of staring at the exit signs in theaters when I don't enjoy what's happening on the screen. Luckily I was sitting in the comfort of my own living room so it was a smaller screen to avoid. I also immediately messaged Melody and asked her not to let my nephew watch wrestling anymore. I mean I used to be afraid he'd put some kid in a headlock, not take a staple gun to his face! So if the first third of the movie is physically brutal, the rest of it is emotionally brutal. I was so stressed out and tense it was ridiculous. I was like "This is why people only see funny movies!!" But I feel like the sign of a good movie is when you can get emotionally involved and attached to the characters. The Wrestler succeeds.

Gran Torino. I loved this movie. I know. I wasn't expecting it. When it ended I actually sighed outloud, "Oh Clint!" Then I was asked "Are you crying?" To which I proudly replied, "No! I've got something in my eye!" Truth be told, I laughed AND cried during this movie. I liked the old man growl. I liked his racist remarks because it reminded me of how my grandpa was (altho I like to think my grandpa wasn't quite as racist, you never know).

So I've seen all the nominated movies now. It was such a great year for performances.

I'm currently reading Julie & Julia, which is soon to be a movie starring Miss "I've got doubt!" herself, Meryl Streep. I'm enjoying the book, and it kinda makes me wish I cooked. Or at least had a copy of Julia Child's infamous cookbook. I think the latter is a much more acceptable goal. Although in my most recent effort to use all the food I already have before going and buying more, I discovered that I have a lot of baking ingredients, which I have now founds recipes for. I mean, if anyone can live off oatmeal craisin cookies and lemon bars, it's me, right?

1 comment:

Jill said...

i read julie and julia last year and liked it too. except the parts where she made sick things like aspic.