Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Life Would Suck Without You

What if I went all Grey's Anatomy and only titled my blogs after songs? That would be fun.

I'm sitting here waiting for everybody and their brother to call me back and say that my resume is unbelievable and they need me in their office...STAT. Until that happens I'm watching My First Place and House Hunters dreaming about the day I'll get to buy a house. And when I feel like it's time I take a time out, I pick up the book I'm currently reading...The Soloist (the book the movie is based on)...and fall back in love with a story all about strings.

My place also currently smells like freshly baked cookies. They're cooling on top of the stove as I type.

So I know I haven't released by 2-ot-9 to do list, but basically this is it:

1. find a job.
2. improve posture.

(alternates, based on the success of #1)

3. TRAVEL. (still need the Grand Canyon, and well, if I get that Australia job...woo hoo!)
4. finish laser treatments.


Yesterday was an amazing day. I loved watching history happen in the company of coworking friends. I'm pretty much obsessed with Malia and Sasha and the love that is so incredibly visual between Barack and Michelle. At Last. Wow. Not even Beyonce could ruin that lovely moment for me.

And did you hear about the scavenger hunt the girls got to do at the White House last night that culminated in finding the Jonas Brothers behind a door??!! How I wish I could have been the person to get to plan that hunt. And/or see their faces at the big reveal!!

While the rest of the country has been in a deep freeze, we have been having the best January ever. It's supposed to rain tonight or tomorrow or something, but just in case you were wondering why I struggle with the idea of ever leaving soCal...


The weirdness at works means I don't work full days. Which means I get to do things like go to the beach after work. The sight, smell and sound of the ocean is like nature's xanax. Seriously.


I found a purple sand dollar.


There was a fire. And hot dogs. And smores. And stars. And waves crashing. And planes leaving town.


Then my cousin James came to town and we took advantage of the weather every chance we got. Like walking through a bit of Griffith Park to get to the Observatory.


This is our reflection in a mirrored wall at the Getty.


The gardens at the Getty:


I mean seriously. You could see the ocean! And mountains! And downtown!


In "sometimes I'm driving to Chinatown and hear a weird noise and find a nail in my tire" news...James got to see a slightly grittier side of the city, rarely exposed to tourists.



The Vitess guys were awesome tho, plugged my tire for $15 and sent me off with a warning about the hyper police in the area. California is in some dire straits, and they've decided more tickets is a way to get some revenue in. We've already been warned about IOUs for tax rebates, and understandably, the unemployment fund is dwindling as well. Hopefully it's not empty before I get my share.

In these times, it's refreshing to find an entire dinette on the street while walking to the grocery store. Because sometimes you have an empty dining room, and although it didn't bother you by being empty, the fact that it's now nicely arranged makes you feel slightly more complete.


Best $10 grocery trip ever.

Tomorrow is Oscar Nomination Day. And the one year anniversary of Heath Ledger's death. A year ago tomorrow I was (verbally!) consoling P Diddy in a lounge at Sundance. I had just interviewed John Stamos and Phylicia Rashad in a surreal moment only a fellow child of the 80s would understand. And then the alert came across the room via Blackberry and everything changed.

Tomorrow I'll be up - and at work - super early (5h30a anyone??). And I'll write a story about the best actor and best supporting nominees. And like Jan 22, 2008, I'm pretty sure I'll be talking about Heath a lot.

Fingers crossed for Kate Winslet. And Sally Hawkins (I obviously don't need her to win, but I think she belongs up there with Kate, Anne, and Meryl). And for "The Reader" to have a Best Picture nod. And for Milk to get some love. That's really all I'm asking for this year.

No comments: