Monday, June 9, 2008

Caribbean Queen Pt 1

June 1, 2008

The sign of things to come?

Got an early start. Landed in Miami to a voicemail from American telling me my flight to Grand Cayman had been cancelled.

Sacre bleu!

Would not accept a flight tomorrow so got transferred to Grand Cayman Airways.

3 waits in lines before I got the meal voucher and correct flight.

Didn't get a hold of Ebanks to figure out how to get there. Hotel peeps seem nice. (over the phone, I had called them to let them know I would be later than expected)

In addition, met quite a few interesting fellow stranded passengers:

1. the traveling couple (they recommend St Kitt and heart GC)
2. the older man in town to teach
3. the young family on the start of a 4 wk vacay. my new heroes. every time i would start feeling sorry for myself something worse would happen to them or I would look at them and say to myself "at least I don't have kids to keep up with during all this."

We all had about an 8 hour wait for the next flight. I was one of the lucky ones. My baggage showed up.

4. the girl in town to be a doctor on Cayman Brac for a month.
5. the guy in town for a month to be a concierge for some private residences (?)

It should be mentioned those two became quick friends while waiting for their suitcases in baggage claim. they sat together on the plane too. Unfortch I missed the goodbye.

Cayman Airways offers free (Tortuga) rum punch. after the day I've had? yes please.

----

oh my gosh! the car is so stinkin cute! there's a lot of roundabout things but so far so good on the whole driving on the left side of the road thing. note: the car is an automatic.

THE ROOM! the room is amazing. i wish everyone i loved was here to experience this room. I'm just saying I'm not sure how I've lasted 30 years without it. thinking of making it an annual tradition. it sleeps up to 4.

I got a realy sense of belonging as I drove from the airport. All this and I haven't even seen the place in the light of day!!!

June 2, 2008

My dad sent a welcome email to the hotel for me. (this is the only way i could receive emails was through the hotel)

Tropical Depression aka Barely Dressed and Covered in Sunscreen with Nowhere to Go

Snorkeling excursion cancelled.

Enjoying morning radio talent. "Who's your baby daddy?" Uncle Buck informed me Diddy and Diaz were seen canoodling.

Emmy Emerson - Sex and the City doesn't come out here til Friday.

Rain. wind. Thunder. Lightning. I guess I spoke too soon when I said I've never been in a hurricane. I mean, I know this isn't one, but it's a named tropical storm (Arthur) so that's pretty close.

Bfast of eggs and toast. By me.

Gone with the Wind time. The first time. Because I have time.

They announce in the morning how many cruise ships are docking and how many people they have onboard.

If today would have been good weather it would have been great tourist-wise. Only one ship with less than 3k onboard.

2 things. I fell asleep during Gone with the Wind and B - the inn has a dog and...2 cats. One of whom ran into my room when the door was cracked and ran and hid under my bed. Wouldn't come out until the guy at the desk pulled him/her out. By its tail. Feels like home.

Every time I turn on the tv, Sliding Doors is on. What does that mean?

Took a drive around the island once the weather cleared up a bit. Saw and video'd a cool blowhole. Two separate times saw crabs cross the road. One of them was HUGE!

Lots of for sale signs. Lots of remnant hurricane damage (from Ivan in 04 I'm guessing?).

Big Christian influence. Lots of churches. Profanity is strongly discouraged. There are signs that say so. On way to West Bay this am listened to a station playing only VBS songs. "Praise ye the Lord, Hallelujah!" "I've got the joy joy joy joy down in my heart. Where?" It was pretty much awesome.

Billy Ocean is going to be in town. I'm not sure when, but how awesome would that be? Caribbean Queen!

Funny thing about driving. Speed limit signs are in MPH, while spedometers are in KM. Basically I'm never sure how fast I should be going.

Cay-man is how they pronounce it.

Why can't it rain all night instead of all day??

Finally watched Gone with the Wind. I do declare that Rhett Butler was quite the smooth talker. Weird. June 2 was Gerald O'Hara's bday.

Lots of naps today. Guess that's what vacays are for.

Hopefully the weather is better tomorrow.

I went out and watched the ocean tonight. I love the sound and the smell. Only phosporescence would have made it more perfect.

What bed and breakfasts were to the Lake District in England, churches are to here.

Like a duck on a junebug.

No comments: