Monday, June 9, 2008

And Our Hearts They Beat As One...

June 5, 2008 Thursday

The big news of the day is PADI Open Water Certification!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was such a better experience. Great water temp (85 degrees compared to 57 in Cali). I didn't even have to wear a wetsuit! Great visibility (100 ft compared to 5 here in Cali).

Highlights in addition to the achievement included a sea turtle sighting, the wreck dive (peering into portholes) and all the itty bitty fish my instructor found and pointed out.

It was a fun group of people including daddy to be Josh and Carlos who was training advanced and lent me his rash guard when I did start to get cold.

Dinner was Chester's jerk chicken and it was yummy.

Super tired.

Can't believe my time here is almost over.

I could not work forever.

June 6, 2008 Friday

If I had contact with the outside world I would tell my dad that I'm thinking of him. June 6 was my Grandpa Bargen's birthday.

Instead of starting with the am, I'm going to start with the most recent events.

Currently I'm finishing Paris When it Sizzles. A moment ago I was chillaxing, reading in my patio hammock.

I love it when Audrey's character Gabrielle says she came to Paris to live. That's always what I would say.

I ate tonight at Over the Edge on the north shore. Had a great convo with Phillipe, the cafe's owner. The restaurant was a recommendation of my inn's keepers. When I arrived, Phillipe was encouraging about my solo status. "Eating alone like a big girl!" It didn't sound as condescending as it now looks on paper.

I enjoyed a conch steak. Phillipe then came over for a convo. We talked France (his native country-natch), the island, tourism, hurricanes, and cultural diversity as it pertains to the raising of children.

He also informed me that the conch was rumored to be an aphrodesiac. I responded, "a lot of good that does me eating it alone." He told me someone down the road would profit from it.

----

I started my day at Boatwain's Beach Turtle Farm. I enjoyed seeing the different sizes of turtles, otherwise the park is far from its Discovery Cove dreams.

Afterward I went to Seven Mile Beach. There were no cruise ships in port so it was basically empty. It's insane to see what a cruise ship or 3 does to the shoreline population on that side of the island.

It could be the conch talking, but is Wm Holden (still watching Paris When it Sizzles) a hottie or what?! A lil hairy perhaps...

A couple hours on the beach and I went back to the craft market.

Serendipity.

Returned to the hotel for more laying out. Two fams arrived today. First kids here all week.

And that's where I am. Wishing it wasn't over. Thinking I would have read more had there not been a tv. I'd like to return to this very apartment alone again OR with friends, love, or family.

No comments: