Monday, January 7, 2008

Now here's some voting I can get behind...

The Critics Choice Awards were handed out tonight. If you didn't see it, it was probably because it was on Vh1, and maybe you didn't know. Despite Sam Rubin's heavy presence, I totally forgot about it until I happened to be flipping channels.

I tuned in midway through the show, and was shocked at the talent I saw in the audience...George Clooney and Don Cheadle, Daniel Day Lewis, Brangelina, Sean Penn...(I know, right?) I also saw photographic proof that Katie Holmes was there too. So a great turnout for them. (Which made me even more sad about the no Golden Globes ceremony news of the day. What can I say? I love me some roundtable awards shows!)

Yay Glen and Mar! "Falling Slowly" got best song!
Yay Enchanted!
Yay Diablo!
Yay Juno!
Yay DDL!

Daniel Day Lewis. You could have made me the happiest girl in the world if you would have accepted your award in your amazing There Will Be Blood dialect. Frankly, I probably won't like you ever again unless you do another role with that accent...or star in "The Last of the Mohicans AGAIN" (and it not be cheesy)...who am I kidding, as long as you don't grow a crazy beard or revisit "The Ballad of Jack and Rose" I'm yours. But you're still weird.

PS Casey Affleck. You were maybe the hottest thing in the audience tonight. You heard me Brad. George, you're definitely a close second.

Hello Javier Bardem. Without that hairdont, you're kind of attractive. I liked how you paid tribute to your fellow nominees by really making it seem like you had seen all the other movies. I still felt bad for my surrogate Grandpa Hal Holbrook tho. That's a really tough category.

I feel like all the actor/actress categories are tough this year. I can usually narrow it down to two, but picking one favorite? That's tough.

Ellen Page and Marion Cotillard delivered different yet stunning performances. Angelina's didn't suck, but Julie Christie's (Away from Her) was definitely the most heartbreaking.

Not heartbreaking was Nikki Blonsky's reaction to hearing her name called. I've interviewed her and she really is that genuinely surprised by the good fortune of her life these past couple of years.

For something like the last four years the person who won Critics Choice (actor/actress wise) has gone on to win the Oscar. This doesn't surprise me with DDL. But, despite what I just said about Julie Christie, I would still be surprised if she were to win the Oscar.

OMG I almost forgot to comment on the part of the show when they paused to remember the deceased. Instead of stars that have passed on this year, they recognized movies that tanked. It was hilarious. The last frame was the 65th Annual Golden Globes...wunh wunh.

I really can't believe there won't be a Golden Globes. I mean I know that in the scheme of things, it's no big deal, but in my world, it's huge. I hope the Oscars don't meet the same fate. Having said that, if the Oscars do go on, I hope I get to go.

I'm off to the DGA tomorrow morning for those nominations. I'm sure the Coen bros, who won tonight will be nominated. I'm guessing Sean Penn has a good chance. And Paul Thomas Anderson. And Julian Schnabel for The Diving Bell and The Butterfly...hmmm I need one more. I dunno. I'm blanking. I'll find out soon enough.

Tonight I saw "Smart People." It was okay. It didn't knock my socks off tho. Ellen Page plays a surly high school senior. She's really good at it. I'd like to see her in a slightly more different role. Thomas Haden Church shines in this one. He really brings the funny, if you know what I mean. I think the main problem was that I don't think I like Sarah Jessica Parker in movies anymore. I mean I did in "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," but somewhere between her character in "The Family Stone" and the entire movie that was "Failure to Launch" I've lost interest in her on the big screen. I do enjoy Carrie Bradshaw, tho, so I think I'll be ok with the Sex movie, unless it totally blows. Dennis Quaid was fine, I have to adapt to him being an older man actor, I realize this, but how will I ever forget talking to him about farts at the junket for "Yours, Mine and Ours?" True story. I talk to movie stars about bodily functions. (You had to figure, right?) In my defense, he brought up the flatulence, and wasn't happy that he didn't completely shock or embarrass me. Me 1 Dennis Quaid 0.

Still waiting to hear if U2 will be making an appearance at Sundance, where their 3d movie is premiering. I say how can they not?? I have a feeling they're going to show up and play a secret show. Mostly because I like making up fantasies in my head that I would enjoy a lot.

I think that's enough for now.

No comments: