Monday, January 7, 2008

Barack is the new Bobby

Ok, so the first part of this post should have been written last week, but it wasn't so I'll say it now.

Barack's victory speech. OMG. I have no interest in politics. I have no interest in election night or campaign antics or, let's face it, voting. But I'll be damned if I didn't feel something rise up in my chest as Mr. Obama talked about change following his win at the Iowa caucus. What I felt could only be described as hope. It was the same feeling I got when I watched "Bobby" or the subsequent documentaries on Bobby Kennedy. Bobby had it, and I think, Barack might too.

Having said that, I'm not sure to trust the feeling. I agree with those who say, Barack has never even run a company - or a state - how is he qualified to run a country? I could counter that, as my trusty officemate did, by saying Rumsfeld and Cheney had tons of experience, look where that got us. But is Obama just a smooth talker (one of my biggest weaknesses)? At this point, I'd sleep with him, but do I think he's who I want in the white house? I don't know.

Briefly, Huckabee. Holy cow. All I could think of when I saw him jamming his victory was...we could never send this person to a foreign country as a representative of us. Although as I type that, there was the whole Bill Clinton on the sax on Arsenio Hall moment.

(I'll pause to let some of you finish your hoo-hoo-hoo moment.)

Speaking of Clintons...much talk is being made of Hillary's emotional speak today. It was awkward to watch, I felt like my mom was upset about something. What do I think about her showing her feelings like that? I just fear that people are so obsessed with the whole woman thing that they will jump on it and say we can't have a female president because she'll cry when things go slightly sour.

So I don't know...will I vote? I don't know. Who should win? I'm not sure. I'd like to meld a few people together. I continue to see the whole voting thing as lesser of evils, decided not by the people but by electoral votes. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Lots of firsts this past week...highlights include the Bonnie Brae pizza at Masa and the enhanced Dali exhibit at LACMA.

I have at least a screening a day this week (gearing up for Sundance). I think that might be a record. Tonight it's "Smart People"; tomorrow it's "Definitely, Maybe"; Wednesday it's "Just Another Love Story"; Thursday - "The Visitor"; and Friday "Sleepwalking".

Oh, and "Be Kind Rewind." I liked it. I loved Mos Def. He reminded me of Antwone Fisher's Derek Luke. The movie wasn't totally predictable and was fun. It wasn't Michel Gondry in the way "Eternal Sunshine" or "The Science of Sleep" are, with all the magical sequences, but it was fresh in a way that he's able to accomplish.

No comments: