Monday, February 9, 2009

One Moment in Time

For our graduation, my fifth grade class performed Whitney Houston's "One Moment in Time." Back then she was somewhat of a role model and inspiration. At least everyone thought so. Perhaps when she sang "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" maybe she really meant "I Wanna Snort Coke and Smoke Crack With Somebody." BOBBY! Whatever she was then, we know what she is now. A trainwreck. I just hope Jennifer Hudson was imagining old Whitney as she celebrated her own moment in time tonight at the Grammys.

1. When recollecting my favorite mentionables of tonight's ceremony, I have to start with JHud. It's shocking that we may have never known about her without American Idol. I admire her strength. I said it at the superbowl party I went to, and I will say it now. I can't fathom the courage it must take to stand in front of an entire world that knows the recent horrible hell that has surrounded you and changed your life, and still sing your heart out like that. I think it was obvious her performance tonight was a demonstration of gratitude to God for getting her through these last few months. It felt so intimate. I sat on my own couch, tears streaming down my face, never wanting to hug anyone more. I have a feeling she got several good tight squeezes tonight. I sure hope so. PS I love choirs.

2. I also love me some marching band. Which help to dull the sting of Radiohead not performing "House of Cards" like I was thinking they would. What is it with me, them and that song?!?!

3. Coldplay. They just know how to perform. I've been to a lot of concerts, seen hundreds of artists, and the one of theirs I went to a few years ago still ranks in the top 5. They have such a great energy!! I also loved how Chris Martin was genuinely shocked (really?!) and excited about winning awards. And how they apologized to Paul McCartney for the Sgt Pepper ripoff outfits.

4. I actually liked how everyone reacted to Sir PM's presence. Jennifer Nettles will never forget the moment she won a Grammy and was able to thank a Beatle because he was sitting right in front of her.

5. MIA. OMG. Performing at the Grammys on your due date. And dancing around like that. Wow. Big ups. I only wish I could forgive you for that see-through ladybug costume, but something won't let me. Maybe if you would have gone into labor and Lil Wayne, Jay Z and a Freshly-Fro'd Kanye would have helped you deliver the baby on stage, I would have forgotten about it. But you didn't, and I can't.

6. I love how Neil Diamond forgot that it wasn't the 80s and took to the crowd like he ruled it. Admittedly, he still looks the same, and I love me some Sweet Caroline.

7. Miley and Taylor. In the words of Annie Lennox...WWHHHHYYY? I love Taylor. I strongly dislike Miley. The only thing I feel like they have in common is they both dated JoBros. That does not a BFF make, Miley. I felt bad for Taylor because it's such a cute song and Miley butchered it with her white trash look and husky voice. Next to Taylor she looked like she was a 24 yo mother of 3 with a two pack a day habit. I'm not kidding. And that's insulting to any 24 yo mother of 3 with a two pack a day habit. Ugh.

8. Dear Carrie Underwood, what were you wearing? Ps I think your stylist might be jealous of you and out to ruin your beautiful look. The end. As for you Leann Rimes, not that I care, but your dress choice and decision to not brush your hair made it a hands down competition as to who looked better you or Sheryl Crow. Ps Sheryl Crow is like 20 years older than you and looked a MILLION times better.

Ok enough snark...maybe.

9. Katy Perry. I love you. Acoustically. In a small venue. Singing the songs that you wrote from the heart. But I get it. You've got $120 utility bills to pay too (LA is RIDONKULOUS (sp?)). So you went all poppy. I can accept it. And for some reason I liked the visuals of the giant fruit and the whole descending from the ceiling in a giant banana thing. I just didn't feel like you were really into it. And again, that's totally cool with me. But if you're gonna sell out, like it. Ok? Love you mean it.

10. After Robert Plant and Alison Krauss stole the show with all those wins, I was all, is "Raising Sand" really that good? Have I totally missed the bus? Then NDG texted me back: "No. the voters are old as sh*t."

No comments: