Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Icebergs Are For Penguins

It's a song...look it up...

This afternoon I walked into the offices of MPRM (one of the pr houses here) and it felt like the Cheers theme should have been playing. Everyone said hello to me by name, and then I ran into ET Canada's photog and he was glad to see me. I'm really beginning to feel the difference in environment at Reelz. I mean, I certainly noticed it immediately, but I really think it's starting to have its effect on me. Not many people were left after the first round of layoffs, and it seems like barely any of those that were actually show up. It's hard out there for a social butterfly like myself. So, needless to say, it was the reception I needed. The visit was quick as I was only there to pick up my credentials for the Spirit Awards, but it was nice.

Then it was onto a screening of Adventureland. But NDG and I arrived early so we ducked into Book Soup to pass the time. Somehow, even tho I'm a crazy lover of books and old school bookstores, I had never been to Book Soup. The travesty of this escapes me. I was ready to move in. And that's before I looked up to see David Hyde Pierce walk in and peruse the shelves next to me. The girl behind the counter was reading in between customers, and that tickled me too.

Book Soup is set up like an old bookstore, but it has new books. I loved the feel. I stalled in the children's and cookbook sections. I tried to figure out what book I could cook my way through a la Julie and Julia so that I could get a book-then-movie deal. I flipped through A A Milne's books of poetry for children and got excited about the day when it will be ok for me to have entire bookcases devoted to kid books. The latter part of my visit was spent in an attempt to find out what color my parachute is.

The book seems like a good idea. But not at $18.95. Because, HELLO, I don't have a job (and neither does anyone who is really gonna get any use out of that book!). Luckily, I have a library card and a library within a block of my apartment. Done and done. I also reserved a copy of The Year of Living Biblically. Because I'm apparently currently into books about year-long projects. I just need to figure out what my year-long project-turned-book can be.

Adventureland. I liked it. I wanna go there. It really made me wanna ride the bumper cars. The soundtrack is fun. I even liked Kristen Stewart. Yeah I said it. And I meant it. And I think I'd be ok if Kristen Wiig just randomly popped up in every comedy or dramedy ever made.

I see Sunshine Cleaning tomorrow which I'm pretty excited about. Instead of weaning myself off all these movie screenings, I'm trying to jam as many in as I can before I'm not eligible for them anymore. Free movies rule.

Since I don't really like the Adventureland trailer, and I love the Sunshine Cleaning one so much that I tear up basically every time I see it, I'll show you that one. I hope the movie doesn't disappoint me.

2 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Chad loved The Year of Living Biblically. I remember when he was reading it he laughed out loud a lot. And was bummed when the book was over.

Jill said...

i hadn't heard of sunshine cleaning and now i wish i could go see it for free.