Wednesday, February 4, 2009

1986

The other night I was laying in bed and time traveled back to elementary school. I started by reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and then singing the Dooley school song (remembered in its entirety) and the Texas state song. (yes, out loud. if you ever wondered how exciting sharing a bed with me could be, there it is.) I was surprised at how well I remembered the Texas state song. I wavered between being upset that I couldn't remember the entire thing, and freaking out that I could remember as much as I did. Texas is psycho with the self education, y'all.

Then I started thinking about p.e. and what a crock of sh*t it is. I mean I get the need for physical education and stretching and exercising. The part I don't agree with is the picking of teams. A - what does it matter if you can or can't play volleyball as a fourth grader? And 2 - if you're uncoordinated and not athletic (like I was, and still am) all that team selection ever did was make you feel worse about yourself, resent the entire idea of p.e., and increase the separation you felt with your peers. More often than not I was in the last two to be picked and Coach Alvarez would often make a team take me. I could have cared less to play any of those crappy organized sports. It would have been more fitnessy beneficial to have me stretching in the corner or something. I've done yoga. I know the benefits of stretching. I write this not for pity, but for perspective. Is there a reason they make you do all that crap? I mean I wasn't an overweight sedentary child. I don't know...I guess I just don't want my child (who will most likely inherit his or her awesome lack of coordination from me instead of getting the more attractive sarcastic wit) to feel like crap about it.

So yeah...if I'm not laying awake at night trying to figure out the future, I'm delving into random memories of my past.

I liked recalling Bear Bucks and the time my mom left nursing school to come get me because I was sick or injured or something. I remember how important that made me feel. I also remembered our principal hugging us when we got to school. Maybe I owe my love of hugging to Mrs. Wysong.

In other news, I just saw the movie Amelia with Hilary Swank. I wish I could tell you to see it. But I can't. Richard Gere was a joke. I did love seeing Ewan McGregor's face, but I'm not sure that had anything to do with the movie. It didn't know what it wanted to be. A love story or the story of a woman's adventurous spirit. I basically only really enjoyed the last 15 minutes of it. I'm bummed the whole movie couldn't have been like that 15 minutes. I would like to know more about Amelia. If only there was an awesome movie about her. Wunh wunh.

I applied for the island job today. It could take up to two weeks to find out if my audition tape will be in the running. At that time I will send the link out. Until then, here's a couple of outtakes. You should know that I was getting tired of doing all this on camera stuff so started drinking wine about it. You can imagine the change in atmosphere. Before I forget, I wanna thank Team MAB for helping making the video happen. From ideas to shooting to cheering on to editing. I've got great friends.







Unfortunately we didn't have time for outtakes in the actual video. But they're fun to watch now.

No comments: