Monday, October 6, 2008

Remember When

I talked about going apple picking and I told you that one day I would go to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and use their free internet to load them here? Well today is your day. I sit here on a patio too filled with smoke for my taste fulfilling the task. Seriously. I sat down in a corner away from everyone and moments ago was surrounded by heavy chain smokers. Best of intentions...

Anywho...apple picking...a photo essay.


Warning: This is apparently not the correct pole technique.


It was, however, successful, which is why I love this picture - and my ironic face - so much.


I did not spot Brer Rabbit. I did find some choice apples though.


At one point we took a walk up the road, and I got super parched (remember how I told you it was 90 degrees?), and there was no alternative but to "borrow" some water from this garden hose. That's how they do it in the country, right?


Um yes that is an old covered wagon. And yes I did trespass to take this picture.


As you can imagine, we were super picky about the apples that would become our cider.


Bleach water bath.


Hi little apple. I'm gonna grind you and press you and drink you all up.
Step one: Grinding.





After I gave it a whirl, I noticed these two boys looking longingly at the process. They were more than willing to give us a hand. That's Tony looking at the camera and his brother Ivan concentrating on the grinding.


All grinded up.


Ivan and Tony's work was far from done. Get to pressin', boys. Even their father was impressed with their team work.


As were we. That's a lot of cider.


A gallon in fact. Sidenote: I don't think this guy is "dressing the part." I think this is who he is, some gentle apple giant who enjoys chopping applewood and making cider.


We didn't see any. But I enjoyed the sign.


Ah, the last shot of the day. And perhaps the most hilarious. I'm eating ribs. Which I never eat. Probably because this is what I look like when I eat ribs. I'm surrounded by bees. I'm outsided out. I'm sporting the double glasses but they've fallen from grace. It makes me laugh every time I look at it and that's why I knew I had to include it here.

No comments: