Friday, August 29, 2008

Whisper Rock

Perhaps I'm constipated in my soul...

(I'm borrowing that line from The Brothers Bloom. It's part of a petite - and wonderfully poop-based - monologue that Rachel Weisz's character gives. I heart Rachel Weisz.)

I had the weirdest hour in a while yesterday evening. On my way home from work I opened a bag of M&Ms in my car only to have them spray everywhere. I'm sure it would have been a fun sight from a passerby point of view, but having meltable things in the crevices of your car is not very "melts in your mouth not in your hands" cheery.

THEN I get home and take off my glasses to brush my hair. And they come apart. They're a $300 pair of Donna Karan glasses that are not even a year old. Needless to say they shouldn't just randomly come apart. I've worn glasses for 28 years now and I've never had that happen. I made a call and found out that they're still under warranty...YAY...but that only means that I get half off a new pair...uh WHAT?? I guess I shoulda read the fine print.

THEN...yep the fun weirdness isn't over yet...I walk into my bedroom and find an entire colony of ants (like hundreds of them) all over my underthings. I freaked out. Wasn't sure I was seeing what I was seeing (at this point I didn't have glasses on.) I immediately began ferociously spraying Raid at the pile of dirty laundry whilst alternately gagging at the sight. the thought of the sight. and then the actual sight again. I immediately took the aforementioned underthings to the dumpster and bagged up the rest of the Raid-sprayed clothes. I haven't decided yet about washing and reviving them but I think I might try since the ants were largely concentrated and grossly focused on the underthings in the group.

I had gotten too confident since returning from San Francisco. I had set traps and honestly thought I had the issue under control. The ants proved to me yesterday that I don't know what I'm doing and that I should always expect the unexpected when it comes to insect invasions.

YUCK.

After those three things happened I left the house with some trepidation a la "what ELSE is going to happen?" Seconds later the question was answered when I scraped the side of the house next to my narrow driveway for the first time. I realized right away and caused minimal damage, but still. Seriously???

My excitement for the Joshua Radin Record Release show at the House of Blues was waning yet remaining. I picked up KDL and we headed to the show. Where we promptly ran into an E! crew I knew. They confirmed for me that ZB was there. Which I knew was more than a good possibility, but confirmation is always nice.

I walked up to the merch table to purchase the cd and was told it wouldn't be out til sept 9. um, isn't the whole point of a record release show to get the cd out to fans ahead of time? oh well.

The show kicked off with "Today" which continues to be probably my favorite JR song. He wrote it while riding a train through France. I'm a romantic. He was backed with a full band which is different when you like a guy because he's amazing at just sitting up there with a guitar and pouring his heart out. I mean I still liked it, and his new stuff sounds great. I wasn't the biggest fan of his back up singer, but again that's because I'm used to him singing with Schuyler Fisk, Priscilla Ahn, or Ingrid Michaelson.

At one point KDL and I ventured upstairs as we had seen several Scrubs cast members go up and figured that's where we'd find ZB. And find him we did. Standing behind Shiri Appleby and playing with her hair. I think it was a good thing Joshua Radin was playing with a full band because it felt like the water-filled glass of my heart fell out of my chest and loudly crashed to the floor. It's funny the love that you can see in such a simple gesture. It's not as funny how much better I am at unrequited love than requited love.

More than slightly deflated (which I recognized even then as inappropriate) I went back downstairs to enjoy the rest of the show. Which I did. Especially when Josh came out for the encore alone and acoustic. He played Winter on stage and then walked out into the middle of the crowd to play the first song he ever learned on guitar. This is a Hotel Cafe move that I am very fond of. He spent most of the performance looking up at his friends in the balcony. I caught a couple of glimpses of the Braff but quit looking when Shiri leaned over and kissed his head and I again felt like some intruder on their cute little love story.

I'm getting way too dramatic.

I see Rachel Getting Married today which I'm super excited about. There's already Oscar buzz for Anne Hathaway which is exciting.

Tonight I have a friend's going away party at a beach bar.

This weekend I really need to get my oil changed and am now planning to clean my place really well so that I can spray some high powered bug killer all over. Seriously considering bombing the place while I'm gone in Toronto, but not sure how exactly to go about it or if it would really work or just ruin all my stuff.

Any advice anyone would have for ants who instead of searching for water or food enjoy women's underthings would be greatly appreciated. You can safely assume I will immediately get out of the habit of piling my dirty laundry on the floor. ANNOYING.

No comments: