Monday, August 25, 2008

Party Through It

62 hours in San Francisco. They went a little something like this:

Friday, Aug 22.

Arrive! Friends! Thai! Walk 3 miles into Golden Gate Park. The Black Keys. Radiohead!! No House of Cards. Two audio glitches. 60k fans. Crazy times. 3 miles out. with 60k other people. 40 min wait for pizza on the Haight. It was good.

Sat, Aug 23.

Brunch. Sean Hayes. The Coup. Devendra Banhart. BIZZO! Steve Winwood. Sick Regina. Rude crowd. That hippie girl just passed out and there is a rodent coming out of the ground! Soju cocktail? Fried garbanzo beans. Ben Harper and his Innocent Criminals steal the show. Matt Nathanson. I wish that I WAS Jessie's girl. It's so cold I can see my breath! (In August!) Tom Petty. (4 more audio glitches) GLORIA! They're shutting us out of the circle! Hello friend. Boys pee in bottles, that's why KMB likes girls. Hello Steve Winwood twice in one day don't mind if we do. Wedding reception in the park. What do you mean people don't offer to teach you braille at 11p when you're getting late night snacks at the quickie mart?

I kept wishing someone would have heard my distress about the House of Cards omission the night before and randomly cover it but they didn't.

Sun, Aug. 24.

Vanilla chai and biscuits and gravy. Bon Iver. Good winter indeed. Andrew Bird. Whistler. Cool Kids. Rogue Wave. Broken Social Scene. Wilco. I thought you were the man in love with me? Jack Johnson. Hula hoops and amazing Hawaiian singer. Cold noodles.

I can't help it. I like music festivals. I like meandering around and I like staying in one place listening to good music and reading a book (still Sue Monk Kidd). I like having a couple of people on a list to see and then playing the rest by ear. I like people watching.

I don't like johnny on the spots. I do like them better in the daytime and when I carry baby wipes.

I could have stood the temperature to be about 10 degrees warmer. But that's because I'm snobby and spoiled climate wise.

This was Outside Lands' first go at it and I would count it a success. It's my only festival this year. Bumbershoot would have meant 4 straight weekends out of town (it's next wkend) and I didn't wanna do that to myself.

I'd still like to do Bonnaroo, altho I'm not sure I'm up for the camping and crazyness it requires. The Mile High Fest in Colorado has also peaked my interest...

Finally...Drugs I or someone else with us was offered at some point this weekend:

Pot (duh!), ecstasy, heroin, and meth...Ok seriously? heroin and meth? REALLY? HEROIN? METH? Do those people even remember that they were at a concert at that point?

And with that, I gotta run and get some work done.

No comments: