Thursday, August 28, 2008

Of Screenings and Sightings

2 days 4 screenings

First stop Pride and Glory. I liked this. I declared it to be my favorite Toronto screening so far. That being said, it felt long. And I was reminded of The Departed more than once. I also hate being reminded that cop corruption happens. With two brothers on the force I like to think that policemen really are here to help, but I realize that's not always the case.

The screening was on the WB lot right next to the Pushing Daisies stages. I think I've convinced you of how much I love Pushing Daisies, so I was super excited. Moreso when on my way out I encountered Kristin Chenowith (Olive!), Chi McBride (Emerson!), and Lee Pace (Ned!!!). I like it that I still get starstruck. I can't wait til that show comes back on Oct. 1. If you've not seen it. CHECK.IT.OUT. You've never seen anything like it.

Second movie. Miracle at St. Anna. I was excited about this movie. The trailer intrigued me. Probably because it involved Derek Luke and I really like me some Derek Luke. You can imagine my demeanor once he showed up at the screening to watch the movie with us. (PS Lo of The Hills fame was also there. I was introduced to her and we shook hands. Afterward I silently wished I owned and had been wearing a "Team Audrina" shirt. You should know she's not in the movie. You should also know that I'm not even watching The Hills this season.) Alright so I'm sitting in this movie with Derek Luke just a couple seats behind me and good LORD was it painful. Gerrad described it best as Spike Lee's Schindler's List. Except it's not as good. I agree we need to be aware of the plight of the buffalo soldiers. And it's only appropriate for a war movie to be gut wrenching and violent. But Dear Spike Lee, does there have to be violence against babies?

There had also been a violence against babies scene in Pride and Glory so I was already at my limit.

Basically this movie made ME hate white people. And I'm white. Needless to say I was glad when it ended nearly three hours (!) after it began.

I have a thing when it comes to screenings - and movies in general - wherein I don't walk out. I don't think I've ever walked out of a movie. Except for the time I was seeing Richie Rich with my cousins the year of the stomach flu Christmas and I had to walk out of the movie to throw up. I always figure I'll get some nugget at the end that will make everything make sense or tie everything up when basically it's because I don't wanna miss a thing. Ever.

Movie #3. Appaloosa. Dear Ed Harris, I am so sorry. I am so excited that you wrote and directed and starred in this movie. But I just can't jump onboard with the whole western movie thing. I liked you in this movie. (still talking to Ed). I liked Viggo in this movie. I was really intrigued with his facial hair and his hair parted down the middle. I couldn't help but feel like Jeremy Irons was imitating Daniel Day Lewis a la "There Will Be Blood." I looked at my phone to check the time way too much during this movie. I wish I liked westerns. I really do. Tom Petty "Learning to Fly" was an interesting choice for the credits. Dwight Yoakam would have seemed more apropos. But Petty reminded me of the good time I had at Outside Lands, so I left this screening with a smile.

No. 4. The Brothers Bloom. I LOVE Rachel Weisz. I've also always liked Mark Ruffalo. And I interviewed Rinko Kikuchi more than once during the Babel saga and enjoy her too. I'm not usually a huge Adrien Brody fan, but I was good with him in this movie. So why didn't I love it more? I can't put my finger on it. I liked SO much about it. But I didn't super love it. Everyone was great. I laughed out loud more than several times. It was visually stimulating. All things I like about a movie. Perhaps it was the whole four movies in two days thing. Or the fact that I had been up since like 6a to be at work by 7, and didn't get a nap and was tired. Or maybe I'm just being too hard on an enjoyable movie.

Things I'm excited about:

Joshua Radin's Record Release show tonight.
a 3 day wkend where the to do list incls getting a haircut, prepping for Toronto, and spending time with friends.
In Search of a Midnight Kiss. NDG and I are gonna see it. Yes, I still see movies for pleasure.

PS Luke Russert. You're doing a great job. I like how happy the greats (Tom Brokaw, etc) get while watching you.

No comments: