Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pictures of a (Peaceful) Protest

I walked more than 10 miles last night in support of my friends and a cause I believe in. What started as a rally turned into (mostly due to the restlessness of my group and one behind us) a march from WeHo up to Sunset all the way to CNN and then to Hollywood and Highland and back. The police, altho they looked menacing in their riot gear, were super nice and helpful and supportive. I love the energy of an event like that. My battle cries for this proposition have been "Yes for Kait, No on 8" and "If straight people can marry gay people, why can't gay people marry gay people?"

I liked it when I figured out I could replace the chant "Eat More Rice!" when I got tired of repeating "Equal Rights!" They sound the same.


The magnitude of the crowd. Numbers wise we've heard 2500, 5000, up to 10k.







Blocking the Sunset Strip.


It was like a parade. We had spectators. I liked when Kait yelled at them to join us. Even better when some of them actually did.


This is outside Hollywood and Highland.



I match the Gap Baby. When the chant switched to "What do we want?" I answered: "That baby!" "When do we want it?" "Now!"

This isn't over.
Miles walked: More than 10
People: Thousands
Times I had to stop at a liquor store for water: 1
Number of feet that still hurt: 2
Number of times I got hit on and had to tell someone I wasn't a lesbian: 1
Thanks to all the people who honked. Or waved. Or cheered. Or stopped their cars. Or cried at the sight of our magnitude. Here's a couple of videos from the event. The first is the sit in at CNN that was sorta anticlimatic. The second is what happened when two groups came together at Hollywood and Highland.




No comments: