Friday, November 21, 2008

Just Like Heaven

Sometimes I interview former costars on the same day. Take yesterday. I talked to Reese Witherspoon at the Four Christmases premiere and Mark Ruffalo at the junket for What Doesn't Kill You.

A little background.

Back in Toronto in September, I interviewed Mark for Blindness. When he saw me back then, he was like, "I know you." And I was like, "I don't think so." But he was sure of it. Our interview then went super well and we had a good time and his phone rang and he wanted me to have extra time and then we started talking about dining in the dark, which I did in Paris and he is interested in doing.

Fast forward to yesterday and the junket for What Doesn't Kill You. The movie is based on the life of the director and it involves crime and drugs and prison. Mark played the main character and I interviewed him and the director together.

Ok so I was sitting in the hall waiting for the interviews to start. Mark walked down the hall and was saying hi to all of the other reporters and then he got to me. He was like HEY! all excited like and grabbed my hand. He was like, "How are you?" and I was like, "You've lost so much weight! Why are you so skinny?" And the other reporters were like, "What do you have going on with Mark Ruffalo?"

Then I went into the other suite to interview Amanda Peet.

Next it was my turn for Mark and the director, Brian Goodman. I walked in and introduced myself to Brian and asked Mark if the weight loss was for a movie and he said it wasn't and asked if it was really that noticeable. And I answered yes, but maybe it was just the beard that was emphasizing it. Then I told him he looked emo. To which he said "what IS emo? that's a younger generation term." I rolled my eyes and told him we are in the same generation and that he isn't that much older than me. Then he said "yes I am." Then I said "no you're not." And then I started talking to Brian and Mark said "yes I am."

For the record, I just looked it up and Mark is 40. I am 30. I would consider that of the same generation as he's in my dating age window. Also for the record, he is married with children and we are not dating or going to date.

Ok so I interview them about the movie and they're both really emotional and the junket people are trying to wrap me, but they're still talking and I'm not going to cut them off so I let them talk and we go over time but we're in this crazy emotional conversation. It comes to a breaking point and I say something they agree with and scoot to the edge of my chair to signify the end of the interview. I then stand up (which as it works out is right in front of them) and I look at these guys and Mark's eyes are glistening and I'm like I feel like we need a group hug right now. They both opened their arms and stood up and we had a hug. And then Brian came in for an individual hug and Mark peeks over his shoulder and says "He's single."

It was a moment. And one that I needed. I was super anxious and nervous yesterday to the point where despite having things going on in my private life I was pretty sure I had to be experiencing a sixth sense signalling the Big one. That's how freaked out I was. I never, well hardly ever, get nervous before junkets anymore. And I almost puked twice yesterday morning. Needless to say, I needed that hug as much as they did. I immediately felt better after the junket. Then I went home and slept away the afternoon and felt like a champ going into the premiere last night.

By the way, I would recommend Four Christmases. I found it entertaining and relatable (despite not having divorced parents). I laughed out loud more than once. It's exactly what it needs to be. A holiday comedy. It also features a chubby Tim McGraw who you might not recognize at first. As soon as it started I was all, this is going to make me want to go to San Francisco. And it did. Until last night when I found out it was shot in Venice. (california, not italy). wunh wunh. The director is Seth Gordon, who did The King of Kong (the arcade gaming documentary), which I super love.

I see Milk tonight, and I am finally getting the internet hooked up in my house tomorrow. 5 days and some change until Ireland. I need it.

No comments: