Tuesday, November 25, 2008

One Thing Before I Go

I'm frantically doing all those last minute things you do before a trip...you know, panic, pack toiletries, check email, make sure everything is in its place, figure out what contents of the fridge won't make it to Sunday...but I also managed to fit in a screening, and boy am I glad I did.

Frost/Nixon. Wow. I was unfamiliar with the whole Frost/Nixon interview. You could say - and be right - that it was before my time. But I also have a knack for not being interested in things historical. History was always my worst subject. I used to joke that I only liked the 20s.

That changed tonight. I have a strong desire to soak up the whole background of this story. I've obviously heard about Watergate. But until today I was unaware of a woman named Rose Mary Woods who stood by her man, President Richard Milhouse Nixon, and explained away an 18 minute silence by claiming desk acrobatics. (Thanks Tory!) Then tonight...the interviews...the AMAZING performances by Michael Sheen and Frank Langella. The context of the story. I dunno. I was immediately captivated and despite a nervous stomach frozen to my seat for the entire two hours. And now here I am hungry for more information, wanting to watch the real interviews. Or at least watch All the President's Men in its entirety.

It's the second movie this week to spur some historical interest. Friday night I saw Milk. If I loved Frost/Nixon, I LOVED Milk. The 30th anniversary of Harvey Milk's death is Thursday. I was only 5 months old when he died. But watching that movie, I felt like a part of his team. I've participated in 3 rallies against prop 8. And it broke my heart to see that we are in effect still fighting his battle. Sure he made great strides, but the basic inequality still remains in the minds of a LOT of people. Sean Penn does an amazing job. Gus Van Sant. Seriously. The POVs alone are incredible. An entire shot through the reflection of a whistle on the ground? I thought I was gonna go crazy in my chair I got so excited. Nominations please. Now is this a movie for all audiences? Why shouldn't it be? I don't get why so many people fear homosexuality. And before I'm questioned AGAIN. I am straight. Yes I'm sure. No that does not mean I've tried it. I just know I like boys. You can be a 30 year old straight single female. As anyone who's ever been in a relationship can attest to, it's a hard thing to be successful at.

I had the following convo with my sister on the morning of the most recent (downtown/nationwide) rally.

Her: What are you doing?
Me: I'm getting ready to go to this rally for gay marriage.
Her: You support that?
Me: Um yeah.
Her: Is there something you wanna tell us?
Me: Uh, that I have a lot of friends that I love and support.

Yes for Kait. No on 8.


Here's another pic I took on that hot and sweaty November day.


That FDR knows his stuff.

So in closing, Milk YES, Frost/Nixon YES. Prop 8 NO.

I was able to finish reading Angela's Ashes so I feel like I'm really ready for all the midwest/western region of Ireland has to offer. I'm stoked and I'll take lots of pictures.

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for life, love (even when the romantic kind doesn't go your way), and the pursuit of happiness.

Erin Go Brea.

No comments: