Monday, September 29, 2008

I'm Basically Ione Skye

I have glimpsed the future of elevators, and all I can say is...Go back.

They've installed the Miconic 10 at our studio. Basically you select the floor number from outside the elevator, then it tells you which elevator will take you to your destination. Once inside the elevator there are no buttons to change your path. It only stops at pre-programmed floors. Fuh-reaky. It's also humorous to me that a place horribly infested with mice, rats and roaches spends their money on a high-tech elevator system. Anyone who visits complains about the complicated layout of the building. Not being able to operate the elevators is only going to exacerbate that. OH! Except there are nice young men placed outside the elevators offering tutorials and informative flyers.

RIP Paul Newman. You did a great thing for KBM's grandma.

I had a great weekend. Lots of fun. I think the only I did because I needed to (excl the hygienic basics of course) was go to Babies R Us, which let's face it, is really enjoyable for me.

Friday night I watched the debate and then Across the Universe, which I would recommend to Beatles fans. Like my mom. (Stick with it through the trippy Bono part. Yes the movie would do better without it, but you'll still enjoy it as a whole.)

Saturday there were crepes and then later there was a steak-filled trip to the Outback, putt putt and batting cages. The latter three events encompassed a Suburbanight. Because that's where we have to go to do those things. I got a hole in one. And more than one holes in six. I chose skee-ball over batting cages as I neither bat left nor right, but moreso hope that would I ever need to beat up an intruder it wouldn't matter which side I was hitting from.

Sunday it was off to Oak Glen for some fall-ness. Well, I thought it was going to be fall. It's been super warm here lately (like 90), but I thought "we're heading to the mountains...and it's the end of September...throw the sweaters in the car!" Meanwhile it was 90 degrees there too. But we had a blast. Picking apples, pressing our own cider, panning for gold. And through sunglass lenses the leaves appeared to be autumn colors, so that was something. Lots of good pictures and video that - you guessed it - you'll see when I find time to walk down to the library or to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf to use the free wireless internet.

I have lots of apples and pears and have plans for at least one pie and a cake that I saw them make on Take Home Chef. I'm ambitious. I bought a corer and am going to pick up a mandolin slicer and souffle dish on my way home. Frankly I like just saying mandolin slicer because it makes me feel kitchen smart, and I think if I don't slice off a finger it will be super fun.

Speaking of home... I've done it. I've hired someone to clean my one bedroom apartment. I've struggled with this idea for a while now, but have finally allowed myself the luxury. As someone told me, I'm also giving someone work, which these days is a good thing. It's just that I don't wanna spend the little free time I have scrubbing floors and toilets (well ok, just the one). I'm going to have her come over twice a month, which I think will be enough.

Meeting time! Woo hoo!

No comments: