Monday, September 22, 2008

A Tale of Two Bikes

It was the best of times...it was the best of times...

Ok so this wkend went by so fast I still can't believe I'm already back at work. I didn't do a lot of really productive stuff but boy did I have fun, and that's productive enough for me.

Friday night it was Judd Apatow and Friends at the UCB. It was preceded by an awesome chicken burger and pear cider at Birds. Then came Judd...and his "friends." Friends like Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Kevin James and...ADAM SANDLER. Seriously. Adam Sandler stand up for 30 minutes? Yes please. Even if he was in character. Very surreal. I also really liked THIS girl. Very subtle and dry. I did not enjoy - and thanks to NDG's suggestion was able to escape - Andy Dick's set.

Saturday I went and test drove the aformentioned Chinese Flying Pigeon bike. It's super heavy and old school and I like it. A lot. But instead of buying it on the spot, I agreed it was better for me to testdrive a few other options.

Saturday night it was off to the bowl with an amazing Boar's Head turkey and provolone sammie. (Thanks Mayfair Market). The berries were da bomb. It was the best experience acoustic wise I had ever experienced at the bowl. I've never lucked out with good sound there, so I'm guessing it was our dead center seats. The talent didn't disappoint either. MGMT? awesome. Spoon? great as always. (I love me some brass!) Beck was super fun too. He played a great variety. The orchestra conducted by his dad came out about half way through. (I also love me some strings!) Super fun night.

Sunday morning I woke up super early and made good time to Long Beach to watch my friends compete in the triathlon. Bragging on their behalf there was a medal and awesomeness involved. It was the first time I had ever watched one. I've watched the LA marathon before but it still amazes me the desire of some people to do that sorta thing and call it fun. The range (age, size, skill level) of people participating was at the same time surprising and encouraging. Everyone was done in less than 3 hours. The winners were done in just under one.

Sunday afternoon it was more bike testdrives. I don't think I ever imagined that choosing a bike would be such a difficult decision. I just wanna ride a bike again. Sunday I tried a variety of bikes with more than one speed. And now it's like this choice I have to make. Do I go with the aesthetically stunning and unique single speed or pay a little more and get like 7 speeds and have to roll up my pants leg. It should also be mentioned that I'm physically attracted to the multigear bike I'm considering (the Giant Sedona). It also comes in a pistachio color similar to my Kitchenaid mixer. Everyone kept repeating that it basically just matters what I want the bike for. I want it to ride it. DUH. But how much do I wanna ride it? I don't know. I like the idea of riding it to grocery shop, and in parks and on the beach. Do I want to mountain bike? No. Do I want to competitively bike? H no. So yeah, my very own DECISION 2008. Any advice or comments on the subj would be greatly appreciated.

Speaking of DECISION 2008. I'm so done with this whole government thing. Stop volunteering for me to pay thousands of dollars to clean up the mess for companies that I have nothing to do with. The government couldn't help me pay for college (and already punishes me financially for being single and making a good living), why should I be required to help them bail out some ill-run corporation? I shouldn't. And McCain...Obama...stop with the mudslinging already. One of you should start talking about what you're going to do to fix things not what the other one is going to do to make things worse. People need solutions. Our country needs solutions. It's so annoying. I'm over it. And for the love of GOD can people stop trying to prevent same sex marriage? What does any of it have to do with you? That's right, it doesn't. Matter of fact it wouldn't affect you at all. So vote NO on Prop 8 and let them eat (wedding) cake. Me? I don't even like cake. And I'm not too sold on the whole marriage thing. But I'm straight and won't ever have to worry about someone else (like the GOVERNMENT for craps sake) telling me who I can or can't marry should I decide to do so. I've never been into political ads, but I like this one and think it creatively and effectively gets the message across.



(ok, stepping down from soap box now.)

Ok, so back to Sunday. After test driving and getting more confused about the bike decision...We headed over to watch this neat thing I had read about on Daily Candy. It involved a comedy troupe reading the transcript of the "Meet Me in St Louis" radio program. Super fun.

Afterwards we ventured to Yogurtland. KBM had told me about it earlier in the day. Talk about sensory overload. You pick the yogurt. You pick the toppings. You do it yourself. And then it's only like 3 cents an ounce. I got more than enough for like $2.50 (less than what I pay at Coldstone). And it's fat free fro yo! The only issue I have is the same I have with buffets because that's how the topping center is set up. I don't find that the most sanitary experience ever...but it was yummy and fun and I'll most definitely go back.

Then we watched some Emmys and I was reminded how annoying awards shows have become, which sucks because I really used to like them a lot.

I wish I could run into Jon Hamm at work today so I could tell him how much I enjoyed his reaction shot when Bryan Cranston won. I also liked the Ricky Gervais - Steve Carell moment as the Steve Carell moment topped my list last year. I'm still not sure how Carell was able to maintain his straight face.

Things I didn't do this wkend that I should have:

laundry
eyebrow waxing
swept up the place (wood floors in a second story apt get supes dusty.)

That is all.

I have The Raconteurs and The Kills tonight. Tomorrow I'm junketing The Lucky Ones and seeing Flash of Genius. Wednesday I start a 3 week stint on the 7a shift (God help me!) and see Role Models. (Seann William Scott? Paul Rudd? Yes please squared!) Shaping up to be another busy week.

4 comments:

cranky rae said...

OMGOMGOMG -- DID YOU SEE JASON SEGEL??? I heard JonahblahblahSethblahblahAdamblah -- what about Jason??

Mary Anne said...

No Jason Segel. Wunh Wunh. Anxiously awaiting his muppet movie tho.

stlouisubntu said...

So, does this mean you've registered to vote so you can vote NO on 8? We need all the smart people in California to vote to cancel out the not-so-smart ones :)

I want to become a one day resident just so I can vote no too! (I think I want to take your cleaning lady back to MO though.)

stlouisubntu said...

Sorry- that comment was from me (Janet). I guess it would help if I narrowed down who from MO was going to steal your cleaning lady :)