Friday, July 18, 2008

There's too many things I haven't done yet

Things we already know I like a whole lot:

The Hotel Cafe
Sara Bareilles

Well yesterday NDG told me that Sara would be the special guest at the Raining Jane show last night at the Cafe. NDG is friends with the girls. I had never seen RJ before, but was excited. I also hoped that seeing Sara back at the cafe where it all began would be a different (read: better) experience than the other 2 times I've seen her this year (in Austin and here in LA as part of the Hotel Cafe Tour).

Well it was.

First I met the girls which was fun. Then Raining Jane tooked the stage and rocked my socks. I wasn't even WEARING socks. Awesome. I hate saying it was like watching the Dixie Chicks because I feel like that's a sexist cop-out, but they were just having so much fun. And they're so musically and instrumentally talented. And they were so great with the crowd. In addition, the Hotel Cafe Jack of all Musical Instruments Brad Gordon played with them.

I love Brad Gordon. There's just something about a guy who you can hand any musical instrument to and he can totally rock it. My favorite? The accordion. Seriously...He walks by and I turn into a schoolgirl. Simply because of his sheer talent.

Ok so after Raining Jane left the stage, Sara took to it. Fears she would repeat the same set I've heard the last two concerts were quickly laid to rest. Her comfort on her home stage coupled with a fun energy with the crowd created an environment so great that I was jealous of myself for being there.

Just a great back to back show. 2 hours of greatness. RJ followed by SB.

Sara didn't sing Satellite or Between the Lines, but she did cover The Beatles' "Oh Darlin" which was fab. She also interjected stories and made the whole thing pretty conversational which I enjoy in a small venue. When she sang The City she brought up Chaska and Mona of RJ to join her and it was magical.

I immediately came home and purchased everything Raining Jane had to offer on Itunes.

Last year I went to something like at least one show a week. This year I've toned it down considerably, but every time I go to one I realize how much I miss it. Luckily shows at the cafe are only $10 and for experiences like these, that is money WELL spent.

I'm trying to get everything situated workwise before I leave Weds and I feel like I'm gonna forget something. Two weeks is a long time to be away. And knowing I'm moving right when I get back is a little mind rattling. But it will all happen and I'll get through it.

Talked to Melody today. Sounds like she and Jett will be able to go home Sunday. Everyone is doing great. She's excited about my visit as am I. I'm so happy to be able to help her this time around. Especially since she can't really lift anything heavier than the baby (who is plenty heavy enough on his own) for the first 6 weeks. I will get her through week 3 and then Josh will take off the next 3 weeks. It really works out.

No comments: