Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sometimes I relate to Katy Perry...

Like when she tells Fabulous magazine:

"I say what I think. I’m a real person, not some manufactured pop tart who’s afraid to step out of the hotel room. I am flawed. I swear, I have the occasional cocktail, I pick my nose and I fart. I’m not running for any presidential campaign at the moment. I’m a sassy girl."

I eat Pop Tarts (Brown Sugar Cinnamon, natch). Since I don't sing in public, I won't be mistaken for a manufactured pop tart. But I relate to teh sassy, and should you be in the car when "Hot n Cold" comes on, I'll singalong. KNOWING that it's cheesy. I also imagine myself in this video with Taylor Swift. That probably makes it worse, doesn't it.



Is it wrong that I'm 30 and I wish I was friends with her? We both like stripes. Probably no more wrong than that I'd like to meet Amos based on two seconds in one of her videos.

The survivors of last week's massive layoff had our first meeting yesterday. It makes me sad that the staff of the new ReelzChannel Movie News doesn't even fill up a conference table. Afterward I was praised by a coworker for being so blunt about my feelings and questions about the new plan. My bosses know what I'm thinking anyway (I have a horrible poker face.) My one boss even told me before the meeting that I wear my heart on my sleeve. I just feel like we have a right to ask questions and voice concerns.

I leave Friday for the STL and am looking forward to a break from the life.

In movies news...

The Tale of Desperaux...Boo. I went and saw it because I thought the mouse was cute. I do not in anyway recommend this movie to anyone. Children nor adults.

Valkyrie...I went into this DREADING it. I came away pleasantly surprised. Tom Cruise works for me when he's in uniform. They made it make sense that he wasn't speaking with a German accent, and I think a German accent would have made it worse. Again, I didn't know the story of the true events so this was another learning experience for me. And I felt bad for the guy who had to go around Germany during filming looking like Hitler with the stache and all. The fact that Germans tried to kill Hitler 15 times is crazy to me. The names of all of the officers did get a little confusing. But Tom Wilkinson shines as he always does. I swear that man can do anything. Such a chameleon. I've wanted to hug him since he played the dad in The Last Kiss.

Speaking of Tom, I also watched Recount this weekend. The movie has gotten a lot of award attention and now I know why. The performances are top notch. Unfortunately it also makes you more disappointed in the system and is upsetting because it's like people were just deciding which votes counted for who and then the court decided when enough was enough with the recount (before the recount was over!) and then Gore threw in the towel...no matter who you wanted to win, I would think watching the system fail is never enjoyable.

I'm going to see Yes Man this afternoon. I'm excited because I was there when Jim Carrey bungee jumped off the bridge in Pasadena. And now I'll get to see it in the movie! We'll see how the rest of it treats me.

Then tonight I guess I'm going to do something about sealing my windows. I live in an old apartment and it refuses to hold heat. I conducted an experiment this past weekend in which I cranked the heat up to 80 and let it run for 15 hours. By hour 15 the temperature in the house had risen to a less-than-balmy 70 degrees. Which, while noticeably warmer than the usual 60 degrees that greets me in the morning, is not a cost effective way to heat my place. I know hot air is coming out of the vents, so that can only mean that it's escaping through everywhere else.

I haven't turned the heat on since, just use a space heater and heating pad in my bedroom at night...but that means I walk around wearing blankets and coats and scarves. This morning when I came out of my bedroom it was less than 60 degrees in my apt..I think it said 57. and that is a rude awakening.

I realize it's much colder in the midwest and northeast right now, but my blood is no longer equipped for it.

No comments: