Thursday, December 11, 2008

Winter Song

Ok so I totally suck at posting the Ireland blog but you're about to find out a little bit about the past week and why I haven't blogged.

First things first. I saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button last weekend. And I liked it. A lot. It's like NOTHING you've ever seen before. Yes it is three hours long. But the guy who wrote this also wrote Forrest Gump. Which was also long. And who didn't like Forrest Gump??

The story just blew me out of the water in how new it was. In a time where it seems like every movie is a sequel or remake or adapted from a book, this is new. Although it is adapted from an F Scott Fitzgerald short story, which is derived from a famous Mark Twain quote, but still. I didn't know any of those things going into it.

I was glad for the three hours because it took me an hour to get used to - and stop focusing on - the incredible makeup and start paying attention to the love stories at the core of the movie. I think people of all ages will find this movie relatable.

I then covered the Benjamin Button premiere Monday night. To say it was pandemonium would be an understatement. I have seen Brangelina in red carpet action one other time in real life. It was this past year's Film Independent Spirit Awards when she showed up with a baby bump. For some reason showing up with Brad's parents made the place go ape shit. I now know it's because it's the first time they've ever been seen on a red carpet with Angelina. It's obvious they like her (they had also apparently liked Jennifer Aniston a lot). She actually walked them down the carpet and Papa Pitt had his arm protectively around her and she and Mama Pitt conversed and were equally appalled when the still photogs started booing Sharon Stone.

The energy of the night was super crazy and then it all went too fast and all the sudden Brad Pitt was walking by me answering a question from the guy before me. But he did make eye contact with me. I will hold on to that moment. That and the moment that Angelina talked to me from across the carpet. I also might have kept yelling "I'm from Missouri too!" to Brad's parents. Whatevs. You do what you got to do in those situations. And yelling is often at the top of the list.

So I was all keyed up from my crazy premiere night and then Tuesday happened. Tuesday my company joined the ranks of many in my industry my doing a massive layoff. 63 people to be exact. Which is more than a third of the company. There had been rumors something was going to happen Wednesday, but they decided to get us when we weren't expecting it. Luckily (?) I was not given an envelope. But many of my friends were. Under California law, however, when you let go (it's either more than 50 people or one third of your company, I'm not sure which) you are required to give them 60 day notice. So it's kind of concerning because they thought they were doing this huge money saving thing and in fact they won't start saving money until at least February. It's just all very weird.

In addition to the layoffs, they're basically cancelling the show I work on. Yeah. They're planning on going with a MTV news type thing where it's like 4 3-minute interstitials a day. I'm not sure how it's all going to shake out, but it's been a crazy environment the past few days.

And then today was Golden Globes nominations. I love award shows. I love movies. I love finding out what movies I love get nominated. I was at work at 5:15 this morning. Here's the package I did.

The only top nominated movies I really have left to see are Doubt, The Reader, and Revolutionary Road. I'm reading Rev Road right now, but can't wait to see it. I'm seeing Tale of Desperaux this weekend. Mostly because I just can't get enough of looking at that lil mouse with his big ears on the billboards. I also really wanna see the French movie A Christmas Tale...not sure if that will fit into the wkend sked tho.

Here's hoping for a better week next week. and good drinks with good friends this weekend. Tis the season.

No comments: