Sunday, August 8, 2010

If We Were Children, I Would Bake You a Mud Pie...

aka "How I spent 40 hours in New York City."

Friday afternoon/evening:

Arrived. Endured a two hour tour of the city courtesy Super Shuttle. Great moment on the subway when I had a realization of where I was and what I was doing and how happy I was about both things. Dinner with Emily at Peanut Butter & Co. Caught up and reminisced. Back to Hotel Harlem to do the same with Erin. Talked over wine as she packed for a wedding in the Hamptons. Dahling.

Sat morning:

Up. Times Square. Met up with Ellen for MORE catching up and reminiscing. And walking. And lunching. This time Ruby Foos. Signature drink. Next stop Trust. (The play starring Zach Braff.)

Three things made me sure I was loving this play:

1. The quote "I don't do brown." (Pee is yellow.)
2. The music. Specifically the scene change where "Maps" was playing and Braffers was mouthing the words. If you didn't know, that's one of my all-time favorite songs.
3. "Sh*t can them." Perhaps only two people in this world know why I enjoyed hearing that phrase on a stage so much. But I did.

The play was very well-written, and greatly acted. I kept calling it a movie because that's what it felt like. I wasn't ready for it to be over. I felt like I blinked and it was intermission time.

What surprised me most about this show, was that I was probably one of less than 10 people under the age of 50. And it was partially set in an S & M club. Old people are kinky. A couple of groups with younger teens left during the first act. I wasn't complaining tho.

Caught Zach on the sidewalk afterwards. Shook like I've never shook before. Worse than Oprah. Ridiculous. God knows if he would have invited me to grab a drink or bite to eat (like I was OF COURSE fantasizing about) I would have been a complete mess. Eating would have been out of the question for sure.

Off to TKTS to get tickets to a show Saturday night. I had 5 possibilities, which made making a decision once I got to the window super pressure-filled. In the end I went with A Little Night Music. Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch are Broadway dames. How could I go wrong?

I walked around some more, read at Bryant Park...ate dinner at a sitdown restaurant all by myself...and just meandered around the area until it was time for the show. The crowd erupted when Elaine took the stage and then again when Bernadette did. I really felt a part of something. Some weird Broadway lovers club or something. I enjoyed the story. The pinnacle for me tho was Bernadette singing "Send in the Clowns." Wow. And her facial expressions throughout the play. GREAT comedic timing. Elaine also definitely has a way with delivery.

Headed back to Harlem and hit the hay.

Sunday:

Early morning exit. Back to LA in time for a nap before work. This weekend was what weekends are all about! Carefree fun with friends combined with new adventures!!

My next two days off in a row isn't until the wkend of September 11th. That means I have a month to decide what I'll do then!

No comments: