Friday, September 18, 2009

Waxing Poetic

So today was to be my first day off since like the third wk of August...you can imagine what this means my eyebrows looked like.

If you know me you know I'm sort of obsessed with the grooming of my eyebrows. Furthermore, you know that I have an on-call relationship with my waxer, Eyebrows Julie. She's amazing. But unfortunately, she's also in LA. I am in Vegas.

So I set out to have someone else control my caterpillars. As luck would have it there was one of those Asian nail places next to my bank-inside-a-grocery store establishments. These, too me, are the only places to get your brows waxed. But they're not all up to snuff.

I knew I wouldn't find a Julie. I also felt like I was cheating on her as I laid on that white papered bed next to the lil crock pot of wax. I reiterated (as I always do when someone else does my eyebrows) that they're really easy. That all I need is clean-up. Yes, please follow the natural arch. (I'm so blessed!) No, no thanks, I don't want them any thinner. I just don't want hair growing from temple to temple.

There's always a little bit of a panic as the first swipe of hot wax crosses over what feels like the exact MIDDLE of my brow. I mean, you never know what you're going to get, and if there is one beautifying thing I am high maintenance about, it's (random, I know) my eyebrows.

To me clean eyebrows really freshen the look of one's face. My face in particular. I always feel prettier when I get my first glimpse of my new brows. Unless they've been screwed up. Then it's immediate meltdown. Eyebrows are important.

So there I was, as Lucy used a magnifying light to identify every random hair in my eyebrow line. This had never been my experience before (not even in Paris!). She commented that the fact I had eyebrows on the side of my upper nose was VERY unusual. She said this with a giggle. But for some reason I liked her so I went with it. Then she started waxing my nose. Like the tip of my nose. Who has hair on the tip of their nose? I mean I've never seen that I have. But there she was, coating my nose in hot wax. As I laid there thinking about pores, and whether this new wax would make me break out, (It better not!) I relaxed into the zen field that for some reason, waxing sends me into.

And then. It was over. Moment of mirror truth. And while they weren't Julie perfect, they weren't half bad. And the only panic I felt was that I spotted a few more grey ones than I've seen in the past. Eventually, I won't be able to pluck the grey ones, as they'll change the shape of the brow. Or I'll have to become one of those people who dyes their eyebrows. Seriously?

This blog brought to you by Random McAllIdoisworksoIcantalwayshavesomethingexcitingtotalkaboutrightnowRandomson.

No comments: