Saturday, May 9, 2009

Dear Ingrid Michaelson,

I loved you before Old Navy sweaters came into play.

I loved you before I saw you in person and knew that you had red hair and glasses. Just. like. me.

I love you live on stage.
I love you recorded.
I love that you make fun little youtube videos when you're out on the road.
I love that I feel like you GET me.
I don't even get me.

You are able to conjure up some of the most beautiful, heartfelt, sentimental - and yet sometimes fun and silly - lyrics I've ever heard.

I'm a lyrics person. A words person. I hear a line in the background of a tv show or movie and I'm jotting it down to google later. And then I'm rewinding the scene so I can pay attention to the dialogue. Because while I was supposed to be listening to them, I was listening to you. (Or other fantabulous musicians like you.)

Oh that's right, when I was mentioning all the things I love about you I failed to mention how I love that you play the piano, or ukelele, or guitar...

Is that how you spell ukelele?

Anyway...I think it's safe to say that I probably started Itunesing you as a result of some amazing Grey's episode a couple years back. And then my whole love affair with the Hotel Cafe happened, and well, the rest is history.

Which brings me to now. Tonight. I was watching this week's episode of Grey's. Two songs got to me. I didn't even have to look up to know that the second song - the one playing during the wedding - was you. I may have even whispered: "That's sounds like Ingrid." I'm not sure if it was out loud as I was the only one in the room. I am sure that it was not as creepy as it sounds.

I just really REALLY liked the song. In the words of Lynette Pomeroy, "Nobody DORs after week 11. Nobody!"...er...I mean..."Way to go Paula!" I mean Ingrid...You've done it again.



In case you're wondering...the other song that piqued my interest was Matthew Mayfield's "First in Line."



Both are available on Itunes.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

I love her music too!!!